Replacing plumbing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstokk90

Reaction score
Hi I'm a new home owner and I am in the middle of replacing the bathroom faucet and the copper underneath the sink is pretty corroded. I figured I should just go ahead and replace that while I was at it. Would it be better to just replace it with pvc or copper, if so should I replace it with pvc after the valve or just go ahead and replace the valve with pvc? The valve needs to be replaced as well.

When you say the "copper is pretty corroded" that could mean a lot of things ... The copper coming out of the wall? Do you have copper supply lines from the angle stop (shut off valve) to the sink?

Pictures make all the difference.

Also, how handy DIY are you? If you are talking about drain piping under the sink, going from metal to plastic is a sure bet. You can buy cheap PVC (white) but the best is ABS (black).

Yes I will get some pictures posted today after work. I consider myself pretty handy. Yes the supply lines are copper.

YES ... Go with braided lines. Replace the angle stops too because they get crusty and will not stop the water flow. Get good quality angle stops so you don't have to do this again for 10 years.

BRAIDED.jpg

PVC or Copper ? I have done them all and I am the biggest fan possible of PEX.

There is a slight investment to get started in PEX with a couple tools you would need, but after that IMHO it’s the answer.

Look at the conventional PEX fittings and crimp rings (2 Types) then also take a look at the Shark Bite line.

I had zero knowledge of PEX and re-plumbed an entire two story house in two days without a single leak.

Welcome to the forum…

Just throwing in that PVC is not allowed for potable water supply lines above ground/inside houses (they are ok below ground where the temperature stays cooler). It would be CPVC instead of PVC though. I know a lot of people do use the term "pvc" interchangeably with "cpvc" but the plumbing code specifies that CPVC is approved whereas PVC is not. (I spent a considerable amount of time pouring over the plumbing code to confirm this).

My potable water mostly appear to be PVC. /facepalm

I have to give a thumbs up to the braided lines though.

One caution on PEX is that there are apparently some bugs that eat through them and sometimes rodents will chew them, but I've heard that is fairly rare. When it does happen, the damage is not covered by the warranty.

Last edited:
Back