Flat roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasilmom

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have posted about our roof being redone and also about the fact that we have a flat roof. The flat roof is a big sagged and after we got some of the tongue and groove removed we see that we have few options:

- get reinforcement done from above after the layers are removed;
- get the reinforcement done from below (a lot of work)
- get it all redone, which is expensive

Question is: can anyone here help me with the options? How about a goo site/book where I can learn a lot more about flat roofs?

Thanks for the help. Be well

Miriam

The roof covering really has little to do with the structure nowadays unless you are doing a flat roof with gravel on top as a ballast.
The new to residential material in the last 20 years is EPDM roofing. Check it out.
EPDM Rubber Roofing - Flat Roof Solutions
If the roof needs more structural support, do it from the top if that is possible, you will already have the roof exposed, and removing and replacing any plywood at this time would be benneficial for the new roof material.

Another option for the structure is SIP. Structural insulated panels. They are able to be installed over the existing roof sometimes.
SIP Construction Systems Technical Details - Structural Insulated Panel Association
Enjoy the homework.:)

Thank you InspectorD. We are leaning more towards Aderol versus EPDM as we are using a better shingle for the main roof. I can see that doing from the inside is really not going to fly, and will check on the SIP mentioned. Thanks again.

Be well

Miriam

Back