Freecycle, GoodWill, and Habitat Stores, Oh My!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bethany14

DIY dummy
Reaction score
Just an FYI to share some sources for redo's on the cheap!

freecycle.org
Freecycle is a great site where you can give & get free stuff. Trash to Treasure kinda thing. Most places have a local site, and there are so many in operation now you're sure to find one near you. Folks post "offer's" and "wanted's" for all kinds of stuff, you'd be suprised what gems you can find. And it's a great place to send your unwanted stuff to a good home. The best part is that it's a local thing, so if your neighborhood has other homes built in the same period as yours, you can score their discards as they go for modern. Oh, and all items must be free!

goodwill.org
GoodWill isn't just for donating! You may find there's a GoodWill Store near you, and if you do there's a good chance you'll find the old headboard or dining room table you're dying to restore and add to your home. We've been super-lucky there, lots of solid wood furniture ready for it's next life.

(search for ReStore or Habitat for Humanity Store with your local area)
Habitat stores are connected to "Habitat for Humanity" and are a great source for just about anything. Builders donate leftovers like flooring still in the box, extra vanities and whatnot. They also accept appliances less than 5yrs old, and sell them for way cheap. All proceeds go to the Habitat projects locally. And just like Good Will, they carry old furniture and homegoods ready for their next life!

Good for your home, good for your wallet, and good for the planet ;)

Bethany...those are all great ideas.
I love recycling, some say it's collecting junk.
Someone always needs a part though and my barn is full of useful items to use .:D
Could you post the web sites for these in the website forum? They will be most useful to those who have collected to much stuff!!:eek:

If a disaster occurs and we only have our immediate community to depend on and work with...I hope I'll be living near someone like you :D

This is the website forum, right? :confused:

I've bought many of things from Habiat Restore. Just last week I picked up an old sink I am going to use in my backyard so I have a sink while grilling. Cheap stuff.

Heh-heh, I've got an old kitchen sink in my back yard for cleaning fish.

I really need to get it set up and working......

Just thinking about all that spring straighting up we are all about to embark on. Check out the sites previously listed to donate some stuff...instead of bringing it to the trash.
Another mans treasure and all that...:D

I like when I get something someone has no use for, I get that old antiqued feeling of using something again, and it is always a conversation starter, and usually someone wants to know where I got it because they want one.:)

So do your part and put the free signs out on the curb....it usually gets a new home.:D

Latest posts

Back