proper bathroom drain installation question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisnfontana

Reaction score
I replaced a bathroom drain after having or bathroom counter replaced. The problem I had with this is that because the wall drain is soooo close too the cabinet I could not turn the wall drain so I had to improvise. The only thing I could come up with without having to remove the counter our cut the pipe is the picture I have attached. It seems too work without leaking but I wanted to get a professional opinion if this is a good way to go our should I eventually duo something different down the road.

The only problem I have had with my installation is because the run of is not deep enough, I had to plug the hole for the plunger/plug attachment on the downward pipe under the sink. As the water would drain, it would reach a high enough level to where water would leak from where the lever attaches. So I had to remove the plunger/plug from the sink all together.

ForumRunner_20120702_111645.png

I would have install a tailpiece extension that would have brought the pipe low enough to make a straight shot to the drain in the wall.
Then you would be able to use the stopper assembly without leakage. However, this would have been at the expense of taking up storage space by having the pipe so low that it would interfere with whatever you wanted to store there.

Agreed. We don't have much counter space so my wife loves to store everything underneath. Storage space is very valuable in our small bathroom.

you can actually gain storage space if you do as KOK suggests by adding a removeable shelf above the horizontal pipe

You installed a double trap?? Not good practice because it slows the flow of water needlessly. Use a Tailpiece extension so you can get a good line to the drain. Build a shelf to stack her stuff. You will be a hero!

You are right and that sounds like a plan. Ill do just that. Thanks gentlmen.

Latest posts

Back