Stain on Wall of home concrete

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the result of water pushing the efflorecence out of the concrete. Look up at the area above and see if water splashes against this area. Or if there is a leak comming from inside the wall.
:welcome:

Nothing splashes there that I could think of and no water that I can see from above on the outside of the house.
Would the likely cause be water finding it way in from the roof? Water from below couldn't be coming up to cause it could it? I am asking since I got someone in for water in the basement, and they said it must be coming in from a crack but I haven't managed to find one but this stain seems to be fairly much above were the water seems to be coming in.

Could you get this kind of seeping efflorecence be from a short term leak like ice damming over one season or is it more a longer term?

Thanks in advance

The brick can absorb water and transport it to the inside, the paper on the wall behind should carry that water down to the weep holes at the bottom of the brick and there should be a membrane there to stop it from getting into the foundation. I would also look at windows above evan if they are some distance away for leaks as well as roof leaks. And yes if the wall below was not sealed properly water can wick up and you would really expect to show up and be a real problem on the inside.

Definitely water coming from somewhere. What is on the inside of the wall right behind that stain? Leaking water line? leaking drain?

Kitchen sink is just off to the left and the drain vent is pretty much straight up from the stained area, makes me think the shrouding around where the vent exits though the roof is damaged and I am getting some kind of ice forcing its way in and running down around the vent, I can't see ABS failing all of a sudden. Dug around in between the joists in the basement and its wet it the one space only the one the drain comes down through. So I think I can rule out wicking.

Think its time to call a roofer.

thanks people

Red, go up in the attic and see if you can find a wet spot by the soils stack. And yes, the flashings will fail all of a sudden.

Latest posts

Back