Helpful hints for kitchen remodel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandrews57

Reaction score
Hello all!!! I recently purchased a n older home in Fort Myers, Florida. I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and have a couple of questions I would appreciate some help on.

1. I have a pass through to the dining area from the kitchen. It at one time was a window to the outside of the home. It has a slanted window ledge on one side and a prehistoric broken up tile ledge on the other (in the kitchen). I am replacing the counter top in the kitchen and placing a matching breakfast bar on the other side of the window. Any suggestions on how to frame this in? Should I bust out the concrete sill?

2. I mentioned the breakfast bar, This is going into a mostly concrete wall. Any suggestions on how to anchor it to the wall?

3. As far as repainting, the entire house has textured walls and ceilings. There are a million and one nail holes everywhere that required spackle. When I ptch the holes and sand it creates a flat spot. Can I texture over texture so it all matches? or Should I try to match up the other texture as best as possible?

Sorry about the longwindedness. I appreciate any help or insight you can give.

Hello B Andrews, and welcome to the Forum:
1. The breakfast bar, you could break out the window sill and make it all level Or, you could raise the bar, say 6", and allow the bar material to go through the opening and return down to the counter-top.
It can be fastened with AJ or Tap Con screws along with a generous bead of PL400 construction adhesive.
Glenn

Sorry B Andrews:
Yesterday my wife Janie came in and said it was movie time so I had to cut my answer short. The girl is the 'movieinest' person I ever knew.
O K #3 the painting. I would fill the nail holes with latex caulk, unless they are broken out around the hole, do no sanding just paint over the caulk. In the second case (broken out) you can get a small tub of drywall compound and stipple it on with a fat, round artist's or make-up brush.
Glenn

Back