do I need to install a silpan under my andersen window?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman

Reaction score
I'm installing 3 Andersen windows in a rough opening tomorrow, do I need to create some kind of beveled silpan under the flexible silpan to make sure that any water that finds it's way in between the windows flows outward? I notice that most videos just cover the level sil with wrap and install the window on top of it. Doesn't that give any water that finds it's way under the window a 50/50 chance of getting into my house? If I do need to make some kind of beveled sil what do I use to make it and how do the windows end up sitting level on it? I called Andersen and they said that they already come with angled sils as part of the window but I'm worried that since I did not get the 3 windows mulled together that there is more opportunity for water management failure between the studs.

thanks, are these pans available at HD or Lowes or will I have to make it myself?

Truman, I've never seen them at any store. We fabricate them to the opening size which can very from opening to opening. They also need to extend to past the outside edge of the wall and turn down to direct water past the wall edge which can very from each opening and wall type.

We have a tool that actually folds a corner on metal so you don't have a caulk joint at the corner. We do this for windows and doors. We have seen a lot of units that the MFG says they won't leak... but they do. If you over kill the installation it will save pulling out the units later and fixing structure.

If you find a siding installer or sheet metal shop and describe what you want they can fabricate them for you.

Latest posts

Back