Hiding an unlevel ceiling ??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viperpiper

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here and have a bit of a dilemma with a century house porch with sun roof over it. I have pulled down all the existing covering, properly supported the beams and whatnot. I didn't jack it up, since everthing has settled over the past 100 years and figured I'd do more damage then good. So here's the problem I have strapped the porch ceiling and it also has fascia on the inside portiong of the porch. It has been sided in cottage pine but there is a two inch or so slant towards the front of the house making the fascia portion appear very slanted. My question is there anyway where the ceiling meets the facscia that I can at least mask the slant or make it less obvious ? I was wondering if crown molding would work, I'm not really sure. I'm kind of at loss on how to cover this area with trim. I just want to create the optical illusion that it's a bit more level then it is. My sketch is a rough idea of how it looks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance.... Below is a link to a very rough sketch if you can get the idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/euxsx

The way to do it would have been to sister 2x4s to the side of the ceiling joists level to make it 18" all the way.

Latest posts

Back