Wiring in 230v Air Compessor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freezing

Reaction score
Purchased a 230v Kobalt Air Compressor and was looking for some educated suggestions on hooking this up. I have wired in a 220 receptacle for a welder, but was thinking of going straight to the servicebox/breaker with wire if possible. Appreciate any help and suggestions with wiring this up. My box is the standard 200amp service with plenty of space.

EDIT:
230v/15.7amp

My preliminary questions:
1. Wire type?
2. Breaker amps; will a 20amp cover this?
3. How do I determine which breaker type I have?

Last edited:
What do the installation instruction state for the required circuit? 20 amp amps #12 might cover it but there could be start up surges that will require this to be on a 30 amp circuit.

Here is a really comprehensive (if not overly cautious) installation video. They recommend a 20A service with (of course) a 220V receptacle. You just need to read the installation manual to see if you need 20A or 30A.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWtNdr_-7Iw[/ame]

My preliminary questions:
1. Wire type? Depends on where & how you hook it up.
2. Breaker amps; will a 20amp cover this? Depends on the motors nameplate requirements
3. How do I determine which breaker type I have? See if there is any print on the existing breakers or remove one to see what type it is.

Latest posts

Back