Contractor suggests laying hot asphalt over existing asphalt

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwoloshyn

Reaction score
A small 8' wide x 20' long area on the bottom of my driveway has large ruts on both sides that fill with water and get worst every year. The asphalt in the ruts is getting thin, and I'm looking to have it fixed.

A contractor came and gave me an estimate to fill in the ruts level to the center of the driveway (the top most part) with stone then asphalt, or just asphalt depending on what he has left over in the truck when he is in the area. Is this a proper fix for this type of problem? I was interested in getting it removed, new stone brought in and a fresh base but he gave me a cheap price of $500 to do it this way.

Thoughts?

Two Web quotes.
Get more.
Your price quote is about $3/SF.
If the zipskinny.com site says you live in a rich neighborhood you will pay more than the US average.

A standard black asphalt driveway costs between £0.63 ($1) and £3.14 ($5) per square foot, averaging £2.20 ($3.50). You can expect to pay between £314 ($500) and £1570 ($2,500) for a 10 foot by 50 foot driveway. Building larger driveways may have significantly higher amounts invested. For example a ¼ mile driveway can cost £13,640 ($20,000) to £31,400($50,000).

• Asphalt - asphaltic concrete is usually installed at a depth no less than 2". For this project, the asphalt is at 2.5" and would cost roughly $830 installed. This tends to have a life span of 10 to 30 years and will need treatment every six to ten years to maintain its good looks and durability. This is known as a macadam treatment and will average around $2 per square foot, or roughly $1200 every six years.

depending on what he has left over in the truck when he is in the area.
I hate to punish honesty. . .but. . .disqualify him.

Last edited:
Depending on what you want and how much you want to pay for it. The fill under the driveway is the problem. Likely if you hire someone to fix it properly, he would just remove what you have and level the fill, sprinkle some black on it and you will just be years away from the same problem.

If you can afford a new base and a fresh pour then that's the way to go.
I'd put the $500 toward a new driveway instead of a temporary repair.

And if the asphalt mix in the truck is too cold (from being "leftovers"), it won't roll and compact very well, nor will it be likely to bond with the asphalt under it. Get some more quotes, and consider going full-depth removal and replacement in the badly-rutted area. You can add a skin-coat to the rest of the driveway if uniform appearance is important to you.

Back