Attic exhaust fan repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasHStewart

Reaction score
I hate to throw away repairable items. After replacing my last 2 attic exhaust fan motors, at a cost of $60 each, up from $25 the last time I replaced them, I asked a local motor repair shop about rebuilding them. They said just replace them. I took one apart and noticed their are no bearing to replace, just a packing resembling cotton or felt, soaked in an oil that evidently lets oil seep out slowly when heat is generated to lubricate the shaft. Other than that there seems no reason this motor would not work as I lightly lubricated the shaft and it worked like new. My question to throw out there is what is this packing. It must be something that exposed to high heat will not ignite.

Now you know my reluctance to recommend power vents on roof installations. After installation most homeowners never pay any attention to whether they are functional or not. Good for you taking the time to check on them and provide maintenance for the units. In all the years I've never taken one of those motors apart, so I can't tell you what the material is. You might find some info on the MFG website or get a costumer service number where you might call and ask.

...and :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

I lot of motors have a bell type area where this felt packing is. I take a small pointed punch
and put a small hole in the top side of this bell. This way i can oil these motors and some
times they will go for years. I take my bath fan out every year, clean it out and let some oil run down the shaft. Paul

though it is a fact home owners do not care about the attic fans has been installed for no of years they need service for further work...

Back