Hard to get to AC Ducts soaking insulation and crawlspace

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahFair

Reaction score
We live in Georgia and this summers been hot and humid.

We sold the house a few weeks ago and an inspection showed high humidity levels and mold under one of the subflooring.

We recently had our crawlspace redone (they laid lime and a vapor barrier and fixed plumbing leaks).
We had to go down last night and back fill around piers with a mixture of lime and sand to absorb standing water in low areas (awesome crawlspace company, totally wouldnt recommend them).

Anyways, we knew we had a torn duct that dipped below the beams. I had been in there previously and noticed that it was causing condensation on the upper barrier and the lower barrier so I had cut it off to let it dry out so we could wrap it.

It dried up, but I noticed the section under my bedroom was still soaking wet.
Sometime within this last year I noticed a hump show up in my floor the length of the bedroom.

The crawlspace people told me the house was sinking on that side, but one pier was still pushing up..
Turns out, there is a tear in the upper black barrier, only about big enough you can stick your head in, but you can see the aluminum duct and the area with the mold. I cant even reach the mold without laying on top of the insulation.

The buyers just want a dry crawlspace and the mold gone.
We are trying to figure out the best way to do this and what is even causing this..

The SO is trying to just stick a small dehumidifier under there, but its 1600sqft and vented, thats not going to dry it out....

I fear cutting into the upper barrier will not work due to all the insulation and the barrier being one large piece that runs the length of the house. I wouldnt know how to patch it and hope it holds its weight.

My thought is going in from the top, but the SO is not for that..

What needs to be done to stop the duct sweating and whats the best way to go about doing it?

Duct work.jpg

mold.jpg

hump.jpg

Ductwork will sweat if it's not wrapped and it's in a unconditiond space . Like a cup with a cold drink with ice does on the outside of a glass on a hot day . It's hard for me to see what's going on in your pics. In the northeast we use ductwrap . It's 1-1.5" thick typically , you wrap and tape it .

Kill the Mold , maybe with bleech? Wrap the ducts .

We know it's got to be wrapped, its just reaching it.

If we cut the underbelly, which will drop the insulation, and wrap the duct, does insulation have to go back in this area if there are no water or plumbing lines?

Latest posts

Back