Insulating under an addition

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbreeland

Reaction score
If this is in the wrong place, please feel free to direct/move me. First time homeowner and first time posting...

We have two rooms that were added onto our house and the floors were
not insulated. Right now they are elevated above the ground by only a
few inches to at most a foot. Crawling under them to insulate the
floors would be near impossible. Does anyone have any ideas of how to
keep these rooms from getting so cold in the winter?

First off :welcome: to House Repair Talk.

Now, what part of the country are you located? Can you post a pic of the area near ground level?

Can you blow some insulation under there and be done with it?

Can you blow some insulation under there and be done with it?

If you're talking about "Blown-in" insulation, like vermiculite or shredded whatever, that doesn't sound like a good idea because it would be a moisture trap and varmint heaven. But if you're thinking about spray foam, I kind of agree. The trick is how to work in a small place, because I don't think it can be applied blind.
I suppose you could dig an access trench, do the work and then fill it.

OP: how do you know that it is not insulated?

Last edited:
It would settle over time, if you could solve all the other problems.

I agree it is not ideal. Is child labor an option? :D When I was around 10 I was convinced by my uncle to insulate the bottom of his cabin as I was the only one small enough to fit under it. I remember crawling under to push up batts of pink insulation into the bays that were held in place with lengths of stiff wire.

If not blown insulation, they maybe blue foam insulation would be stiff enough to work into the bays from the edges and clipped into place? Work the insulation in from both sides, then dig an access trench down the middle so the other end can be clipped in?

Back