Want to trap groundhogs...but what next?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
I have a few groundhogs who keep digging under my shed, under my back porch, and there's a hole near my foundation and I'm worried they'll go under.

My wife paid some pest control guys to trap one back when we thought there was just one. After seeing the bill I'm ready to just buy my own traps. But my wife makes a good point: what do I do then?

I live in a suburb so I can't shoot the thing. I don't want to poison it or bludgeon it. Stabbing it seems like a bad idea. I don't want to put that flea ridden thing in my car to take it somewhere either, even if it's still in the trap.

Will animal control take it? For what price?

I'll look up a number and call, just wanted to get your guys experience first.

PS. I don't want the smell of mothballs or any other strong odor coming from under my house, so that's not an option for me.

Animal control may do it for free.
I'd trap it and take it for a nice ride in the country and let it go.

Animal control may do it for free.
I'd trap it and take it for a nice ride in the country and let it go.
This was my first idea, but then I realized I don't want its parasites getting loose in my car. I don't have a pickup otherwise this is definitely what I'd do.

I can tell you first hand people that live out in the country don’t appreciate people from the city re-homing animals out in the country. When they find a woodchuck hole out in the bean field it is easy to find it is right in the middle of a perfectly round circle that is a couple hundred feet across ate to the ground. They can’t be as friendly to the chucks and they don’t bring them back in town and let them go. Cats and dogs are another problem at least once a week some well meaning city folks bring out a cat or dog or a litter of kittens and the first dairy farm they see they let them out thinking this is a good home. Most dairy farms have more cats than you can count and we see people letting things loose all the time. About 4 or 5 years ago I noticed a little Jack Russell hiding in the weeds just off the lawn and when we would go inside he would come eat the cat food. I kept sitting on the porch with a bowl of dog food and would leave a few pieces and go in the house. Little by little I baited him in and pretty soon I could touch him. We named him Sabby and he found a good home with Holly’s mom. Most don’t get so lucky and if you let groundhogs out anywhere close to a farm they will die of lead poisoning as soon as someone finds them.

If you let them go near a horse farm someone will find them when the horse breaks a leg in their hole and the horse will get put down and hopefully the rider makes it thru the fall.

There is no good place for them they are not endangered. If you trap one in a live trap you need to put it down.

I can tell you first hand people that live out in the country don’t appreciate people from the city re-homing animals out in the country. When they find a woodchuck hole out in the bean field it is easy to find it is right in the middle of a perfectly round circle that is a couple hundred feet across ate to the ground. They can’t be as friendly to the chucks and they don’t bring them back in town and let them go. Cats and dogs are another problem at least once a week some well meaning city folks bring out a cat or dog or a litter of kittens and the first dairy farm they see they let them out thinking this is a good home. Most dairy farms have more cats than you can count and we see people letting things loose all the time. About 4 or 5 years ago I noticed a little Jack Russell hiding in the weeds just off the lawn and when we would go inside he would come eat the cat food. I kept sitting on the porch with a bowl of dog food and would leave a few pieces and go in the house. Little by little I baited him in and pretty soon I could touch him. We named him Sabby and he found a good home with Holly’s mom. Most don’t get so lucky and if you let groundhogs out anywhere close to a farm they will die of lead poisoning as soon as someone finds them.

If you let them go near a horse farm someone will find them when the horse breaks a leg in their hole and the horse will get put down and hopefully the rider makes it thru the fall.

There is no good place for them they are not endangered. If you trap one in a live trap you need to put it down.
Yeah to be honest I had this same thought. Besides being unethical, it's probably illegal to dump pest animals on either private property or in state parks.

I'm guessing animal control euthanizes them, which is fine with me. Maybe they could even give the carcasses away to guys like oldognewtrick so he can have something to eat.

you need a 22lr bolt action rifle, will not eject out of a semiauto
this ammo is QUITE, I have used it in city limits many times

th3H78QIAL.jpg

note. it is 20 grain,
the 40 gain and 60 grain are not quite

Latest posts

Back