Water Leak - Question/Advice

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andru04499

Reaction score
Hello All – I purchased a new construction home back in 2007 and a few months after my 1 year home warranty expired I noticed a small leak around 2 of my living room windows.

When it rains heavily the windows will leak water at the top of the window frame from the seams in the drywall tape. I attempted to caulk the exterior of the windows but it still sometimes leaks.
I'm guessing that the flash paper was installed improperly or maybe even worse that the stucco on the exterior of my home has a small breach that’s allowing water to seep in.

Can someone please suggest the best approach for identifying the cause of the problem and rectifying the issue?

I’m uncertain if I should contact a window installer, stucco person, home inspector, etc, etc??

Thank you

Contact a professional window or siding installer. Someone who has a good reputation and has worked with someone you know.
I always tell folks to go to the "local" Lumberyard, or window supplier to ask who is good.
most likely the siding paper underneath was installed wrong. Kind of like tucking your raincoat into your pants sort of a problem..

Have another look at the roof,check for wet insulation above this area. In newer houses roof leaks show up at doors and windows first.

Okay, thank you for your responses...

I'm not sure there is a nearby lumber yard just Home Depot and Lowes but I'll do some research online and try to select a reputable company - any suggestions for doing so?
Thanks again!

Back