Switch on the fritz

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its4sandra

Reaction score
A few weeks back when I turned in the disposal switch in the kitchen nothing happened. I switched it off and checked the unit, all seemed fine. I tried the switch again and it worked fine. After that when switching on the disposal I would have to switch it on-off-on to get it to work. A couple days ago I did the on-off-on and saw a spark behind the plate. Now in order to get the disposal to run I have to hold the switch all the way on, if I let go the switch is still in the on position, but the disposal doesn't work. Any help much appreciated!

The spark indicates a loose wire. You'll have to open it up and tighten the connection.

check for loose wiring. If no loose wires are found, replace the switch.

Turn off the power and replace the switch. Sounds like either a loose connection or a bad switch. If the connection is loose the terminal may be burnt. In either case a new switch is a cheap. Be sure to use the screw terminal connections and not the push in quick connects.

Latest posts

Back