Repairing many holes in walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diynewf

Reaction score
Last year I had cellulose insulation pumped into the walls of my basement suite. The contractor drilled many small holes in each wall cavity, but didn't really specify how these are repaired. I have some drywall tape, spackle and the round drywall pieces that were removed but when I place the tape over the holes the area is still pretty hallow. I could also put something behind each hole to support the pieces, but with 50+ holes to repair this would be extremely time consuming. Is there an easier way?

If you take a peice of 1x2 about 5" long you can work it in the hole for backing, 2 screws to keep it there and screw the plug back in place, then tape and fill.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K37G2j0K8BA[/ame]
You can start a screw in the center of the stick to use as a handle for placing it and holding it while you screw it in place.

I have 50 or so to plaster over. I kept most of the inserts left over after the drilling. Is there a faster way to do this?

I would think drywall repair would be included with the job.

There just is no faster way to do the job right.

This^ Good video on Youtube
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hcPMPaPbLA[/ame]

You're lucky in that you already have the pieces that fit the holes.

Is a utility knife the best tool to use so as not to disturb the cellulose behind the wall?

A utility knife works ok but it is easy to cut the paper on the front side but is a bit harder cutting thru the gypsum core but can be done by scoring it over and over.

One problem DIY people have is finding scraps of drywall to make a tiny patch out of. The apron stores sell half sheets and sometimes smaller chunks but charge about as much for a half as a whole. I often make the patch out of half inch thick plywood as in a small patch the screws will crack it. once you mud over it no one will know what you have behind it.

I think the vid shows her using paint sticks for the backing bar. Good idea but I would think a screw would split them.

Back