Load bearing wall removed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk97

Reaction score
So I am thinking of buying a house. It appears that a wall has been removed and the job was not finished. The floor and ceiling have not been patched/replaced. I am unsure if the wall was load bearing. Obviously, I would have a home inspection done before buying the house, but my question is....if the wall was load bearing and they didn't put a supporting beam in, can that still be done? I have no way of knowing how long it's been. Maybe 5 days ago, maybe 5 years ago. Any idea how long before major damage starts to set in? The house is one story and only 15 years old. Should I just walk away?

Edited to add a picture. I haven't been able to see the inside in person, yet, hope to this weekend.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wall gone.jpg

Last edited:
If the wall was running in the same direction as the rafters or trusses above you usually have nothing to worry about. Pictures would have helped.
If it is load bearing and you didn't mention a huge sag so it would be fixable. Your inpector will be helpful with this. I would not walk away, just make this a bargining point.

Thank you for the response. I added a picture, but you can't tell much from it. I hope to see it in person soon.

If the roof is built with trusses you will have no problem but there is a possibility that there is a ridge beam which would be held up by the center of that wall. If the pitch of the roof is higher than the pitch of the ceiling inside you likely have sisser trusses.

Back