Building an attached deck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

needadvise

Reaction score
I am in the county of Berks in the state of PA, they dont seem to be willing to provide the list of codes and answers to questions are that will work .

I am replacing a 20 year old deck with a new one which will be larger. The new deck will be 24' long attached to the house (this includes a 4' landing for stairs) and 16' out from house. I am considering using 2x10's for joist, beem's and 6x6 posts. I have used several online deck building tools in order to provide something to submitt for my permit to start the footers (in march) every different program seems to provide different post requirements. Min code here is total 50 load being 40 psf live and 10 dead loads. One online tool had the loads at 99 live and 10 dead yes that is an over kill and much stronger however requires double the amount of footers/ support. How do I determing which is the actual required amount of footers/ support I need. I will be attaching the 6x6's to the footers/support which I am planing on 48" deep. So how many do I need and what is the required diamter for the same, can the footer and support pier be the same diameter from 48" to grade or do I need to poor the footer then the support piers? :confused:

The best enhancements a deck offers an additional open-air space and of course it adds to the beauty of your home. Building your own deck that is properly attached to your house can be pretty difficult. Deck building can be a great task if you are good with hammers and nails and like to build things yourself. It can be a great headache if trying it out for the first time. If you want a proper deck attached to you home and are not confident about your own skills, the best way to get your work done is to hire deck building services from a professional deck manufacturer.

Latest posts

Back