fence anchors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbray1012

Reaction score
I want to install a 40' fence (6ft high dog eared) along my driveway and was curious as to how well those metal anchors are that you pound into the ground and attach the 4x4"s to. The wind is mainly along the length of the fence and will not be directly against it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Wow, you would trust forty feet of materials and work to those metal spikes??
I thought they were only good for putting up mailboxes.

You didn't say what the fencing was made of. An open fence like a picket fence might not be too bad at catching the wind, but a privacy fence will have to take a lot of force. And you know the wind will shift around every once in a while. Even so, 40X6 makes a pretty big sail!

Use screw anchors to hold with not just a stake driven into the ground.

Only way I would put up a 6 ft high privacy fence is with 4 x 4 posts that are installed 1/3 of their length (32 inches) in a hole that is at least 10 inches in diameter and fill the hole with mixed concrete/water and leave approx. 4 inches on top for dirt. If you use dry quickcrete mixture be sure and add water and mix it up with a rod very well.

Don't fudge on the amount of post installed in the ground nor the concrete as this is where you get your support.

Been there done that.

Tom

Last edited:
If you're in Buffalo, the frost line might be lower than three feet. My understanding is that you want to ensure that your post footings are below the frost line so they do not rise and sink over time. However, some of the members with more experience might be able to clarify issues with that. But this essentially runs along with Tom's comment.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back