Weatherstrip Removal and Install

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segal

Reaction score
I have a silverline sliding glass door (5800 series) and I am in the process of replacing a torn weatherstrip (it's a brush fin style strip). The strip is on the vertical edge of the fixed panel where the moving door meets in the middle. Silverline sent me a replacement strip, but after taking the moving door panel out, there doesn't appear to be any straightforward way to remove the old wool pile strip and install the new one. The strip has a plastic base that inserts into a channel that is molded in the window frame to hold it in place. The existing weatherstrip looks to have been installed before the top and bottom of the door were assembled and fused together in the factory- meaning, there is no way to slide out the old weatherstrip and slide in the new since both ends are covered by the top and bottom of the frame; thereby making the open ends of the channel inaccessible. Perhaps there's some "trick of the trade" to performing this task, but it isn't obvious to me. Any advise would be appreciated!

I have never done this so take this advice based on what you have in front of you.
Is it possible to simply pull out the old strip and then install the new strip with a putty knife, pushing it into the factory groove/channel?

This certainly does help! Glad to know that I'm not the only one with this situation. The exising strip is firmly held in this channel, so what I may need to do is make a precise cut down the center of the strip to get it out in two halfs rather than attempt to yank it out with needle nose and risk damaging the vinyl door. Based on the advice on the swisco site, I should be able to sneak the new strip in just by inserting one side into the channel and then working in the other. I hope that works. I'll give it a try in a day or two. Thank you :)

Back