Raised floor between house and garage.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hagnik

Reaction score
Hello all:

I'm new to the forum, and probably don't have all the correct building terminology, but will do my best.

I have an 1950's ranch built on a crawl space. 12' from it is a garage built on a concrete slab. Between the two is a covered breezeway built on a concrete slab with a gable roof. I am converting the covered breezeway into livable space. I chose to build a raised floor to prevent ground moisture problems.

My question is... When framing my raised floor, I can attach the floor joists on the house side to the existing 2x6 floor framing. (not sure of the name. It sits on top of the concrete block) On the garage side, there is no 2x6. Can I nail one to the 2x4 wall studs, and hang my new floor joists from that?

Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Welcome Nick:
You are speaking of resting the joists on the sill plate or some call it the mud sill that is great but, on the other end, I would like to have a short 2 X 4 wall built against the existing one. This gives the floor straight down vertical support rather than relying on the shear strength of the nails. The shear strength would hold....... for a while.
Glenn

Back