Mystery Plant

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool. Is that the hibiscus that you mentioned a while back? That's pretty tall.
I ended up pulling that NZ hibiscus that I started this thread with. It was starting to get spiny. And I talked to a botany professor at Rutgers and she had no knowledge of the plant being anywhere in NJ. So I thought it might be safer to keep it that way.

A freind kept it in a bucket and stored it in the garage every winter and thought it was dead every spring. I told her it would do fine if she planted. The last time she thought it was dead I took it home and planted it. It's 7 ft tall.

Nice flower but short living........
Nealtw, can you tell the proper name of the flower as you have Googled about it.

Here is a weed you do want to watch out for, DO NOT TOUCH IT
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sysmrqw4sEo[/ame]

That's one big plant. When they cut to the wide shot for the first time, I thought it was some kind of joke. Any idea if this is a northwest region problem or is it more widespread? I also wish she would have explained how to get rid of it, if you can't touch it.

cool. Is that the hibiscus that you mentioned a while back? That's pretty tall.
I ended up pulling that NZ hibiscus that I started this thread with. It was starting to get spiny. And I talked to a botany professor at Rutgers and she had no knowledge of the plant being anywhere in NJ. So I thought it might be safer to keep it that way.

Since this thread floated back to the top, I thought I might update it. I pulled the New Zealand Hibiscus last summer, but this year I have pulled 5 or 6 small ones growing on my property - none very far from where the original one was. A few were in cracks in the driveway and a few more were on the edge of the lawn. It's easy to see how a plant can become colonized.

We had the hog weed growing beside the street down the road a few years ago and a few freinds were talking about getting a peice because they liked it. Then one day the city crew showed up in hasmat suits and removed it and then there was a big write up in the paper. When I was looking for that video there were some from other places so no it's not just here.

This plant is growing in a large unused pot in our driveway. We have no idea what it is, but the flowers only seem to open for a hour or so before disappearing:

Any ideas?
Looks like a relative to the mallow sylvestris family You usually see them in pinks or purples in the nursery also one known as zebrinus that is purple/rose striped little smaller in real life than your photo but it looks like photo may be exaggerating the size a bit. Mallow moschetus is perennial hibiscus with a huge flower. This should narrow your search. Any of the flowers only open for a day. Rose of Sharon trees and shrubs are also related all have similar shape leaves and blooms Also hollyhocks are annuals that are related

Last edited:
Looks like a relative to the mallow sylvestris family You usually see them in pinks or purples in the nursery also one known as zebrinus that is purple/rose striped little smaller in real life than your photo but it looks like photo may be exaggerating the size a bit. Mallow moschetus is perennial hibiscus with a huge flower. This should narrow your search. Any of the flowers only open for a day. Rose of Sharon trees and shrubs are also related all have similar shape leaves and blooms Also hollyhocks are annuals that are related

Thanks greenlady0, and welcome to the forum. There is much need for some expertise here, as it is an underserved section, IMO.

Have you read the rest of this thread? It seems likely that it is a New Zealand Hibiscus.

I did a garden tour on the weekend and saw your plant mature. About 8 ft tall and 10 ft across absolutely white with flowers. Looked good.

Back