Gearing up to putting up a new wall for the LCD TV

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laks_s

Reaction score
G'Day:

Found the Message Board while seraching for a way to do a floating mantle. Would love to pick people's brain on different ideas.

Will post design and hope to get some tips from the Pros on this Message Board.

Laks

Welcome to the forum!

Pickable brains abound here. The tease you offered has surely got a mouth or 2 watering. Anxiety is probably killing someone. Don't be bashful, we want to see what you've got. There are several guys here who could help you with just such a project. Whenever you're ready, the boys are ready.

You might get something out of this thread;

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/showthread.php?t=735

Really, your post is just like waving a piece of meat in front of a bunch of hungry hunting dogs. Heh-heh.

Anxiously waiting,
Tom in KY

Tom:

Thank you for the warm welcome. Just so I don't tease anyone here :) here, you will find the before and after pictures in my Gallery

The Hearth will be 16" deep while the mantle would be 8". If you or anyone has a better suggestion I am glad to hear you folks out.

I plan on building the wall to be flush with the brick facing and then covering the entire wall in Venetian plaster. I am comfortable with wood working, but Venetian plaster is a whole different ball game. Any suggestions are welcome.

Will the plaster cover the brick?

The plan looks great. It will be a huge improvement over the the TV stand you have now.

I don't work with plaster, but I'm sure that someone here has some experience.

Good luck and have fun building it.

Tom in KY, feeling much better now, no frustration from being totally teased.:p

Yeah Tom. I am still debating if I should put something like wonderboard on top of the brick and then do the plaster or throw on the plaster directly over the bricks.

The area of concern is the space between the bricks, will the plaster shrink over time and show off the brick lines if I put plaster directly over the brick? May be someone has experience with it and can advice me.

Laks

Hi Laks

Another option is to apply the plaster, let it start firming for a while but when it is stiff to the touch but not dry as too become porous you may be able to trowel on again to build it up in layers.
Or apply the first coat of plaster, let it completely dry after you have floated out the trowel marks, then seal the first coat of plaster with a watered down coat of sealer (as for porous surfaces) probably give it 2 coats of this mix, then trowel over again.

I hope some of this makes sense, all the best.
Regards
Dale

Progress update

I used hardibacker with a layer of roof felt between the bricks and the hardibacker. Used construction glue to cement the roof felt to the brick.

The hardibacker was screwed into the mortar using concrete screws (2 1/2")

The new wall was created using 2 x 6 studs to be able to take the weight of a 50" LCD TV.

The mantle itself is LACK model floating shelving from IKEA. Cost me $20 for the long one and $12 for the shorter piece. Has a great mounting system. I put Dry wall on the shelving material, 1. to make it look thicker, and 2. to be able to match colors.

Waiting for the stone slab for the Hearth and trying to decide between regular paint vs Venetian.

I have uploaded a progress picture in my gallery for anyone interested.

The Project is Complete!!

The final photos are in the Gallery.

Back