winters coming are you ready

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CallMeVilla -

Have you ever seen onr of the last scenes in one of the Plant of the Apes? It has Charlton Heston and girl in an animal wrap stumbling on the wave washed beach and seeing the top of Liberty sticking out of the sand. It was an older movie, but shows what may be inevitable.

There were many people affected by the minimal hurricane, but numbers mean important ratings. The feeble infrastructure created most of the problems shown by the "talking heads" in rain coats.

It was not nearly as strong as many other storms, but had a relatively wide path of minimal damage, but more important because of the mass of people, availability of TV markets and amount of "field correspondents", to be polite.

It was little puny compared to other disasters I have been in and followed up later for investigation and damage/loss verification. Katrina and Rita made the news media because of the amount of following problems and was similar in the low level of infrastructure quality and planning. The dramatic parts of Katrina were not really seen because they were not in LA. There was a part of southern MS that was hit head on by a rapid (a few hours) of storm surge of 28' that totally wiped out everything for many miles along the coast and returning (draining) storm surge was even more destructive because of the debris in the water that pulled many thing out into the Gulf of Mexico to be discovered in later years. There were many cars and trucks lost, but many were lodged high in trees quickly and not get dragged out. At least some of the owners found them and could get a photo of the ID/serial numbers and get a quick replacement. - That was very educational experience in construction for 4+ months (24/6 or 7 work) and may rental car was turned in with 30,000 miles on it with the original "temporary" plates on it.

Don't fool with Mother Nature!!!

Dick

As long as the humidity stays low it can be pretty nice.

I think it's going to be 90 tomorrow. What is this "Winter" you speak of.

I think it's going to be 90 tomorrow. What is this "Winter" you speak of.

We're good, keep your 90', scorpions, lizzards, snakes and fire ants big enough to carry small cars off. Give me a lil frost once in a while. Love having 4 seasons round here.

And TX, where you been hiding? Austin took away the maid service, makes us sweep the floors, make our beds, take out the trash... reminds me a lot of military school. ;)

We're good, keep your 90', scorpions, lizzards, snakes and fire ants big enough to carry small cars off. Give me a lil frost once in a while. Love having 4 seasons round here.

And TX, where you been hiding? Austin took away the maid service, makes us sweep the floors, make our beds, take out the trash... reminds me a lot of military school. ;)

:agree: What's up with this? I didn't see any of this in my contract, I was also told free pizza once a week.

Winter in San Antonio for me was two months of rainy, cloudy weather, somewhat colder than normal.

Damn old eyes, didn't catch that. :D

I was also promised a window office and all I got was this stuffy broom closet.

You mean stuffy broom closet with a window.

Austin said:
You mean stuffy broom closet with a window.

If you want to call that a window, i've seen bigger peepholes in motel room doors.

If you want to call that a window, i've seen bigger peepholes in motel room doors.

I can have it covered up if you would like?

For the record those were bullet holes. You need to stay in the better parts of town in the future.

Austin said:
I can have it covered up if you would like?

For the record those were bullet holes. You need to stay in the better parts of town in the future.

But I don't know anybody in the better part of town.

Latest posts

Back