Laundry water shutoffs question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi fellas,

Well I got the parts today ( the ball vales are alot smaller then the one there now, does that seem right? ) just looking at the old ones now and wondering will it take alot of heat to soften the old pipe dope he has on there?

The old cold water valve looks a hair bigger to me then the hot, I dont know if its just the angle im looking at it?

I think its best if I attempt this on Monday morning so if anything goes pear shaped I could call a plumber.

The only thing that has me baffled is how hard it will be to get the old ones off?

I would be more worried about replacing that clamp on gasket fitting than the valve. For Diyer you can use sharkbite fittings or compression

shark bite
c265a684-b661-4758-82cb-76eebbc54040_400.jpg

use a pipe wrench /pliers on clamp on fitting and wrench on shut off to get off old shut off.

Cheers guyod

I dont know why it is a clamp like that. Seems to work as I have been here for 5 years without a problem ( knock on wood ) Only reason I'm changing them is the onze shutoff is seized and the plastic handle is broken.

The pipe dope would soften easy with heat right? or do I even need to heat it? should it just turn of easy.

Just use the telfon tape on the new valve right? I have heard some people say just use teflon and have heard other guys I know use both? I would think using noth would be messy.

I little heat could help. You probably just need bigger wrenches though. If you have pipe dope i would use that. It is harder for a first timer to mess up. The tape takes a little skill. You have to put it on right direction pull it tight but not too tight. You have to put enough on but not too much.

Cheers, thanks guyod. Thats why I dint know if using both would be okay?

After applying the dope to the threads and instaling the new valve I dont have to wait anytime before turning on the water would I?

Also guyod, if I was to replace that clamp on gasket with the sharkbite how does the sharkbite clamp on? do I need a special wrench to clamp it? I though I have heard that before?

Also guyod, if I was to replace that clamp on gasket with the sharkbite how does the sharkbite clamp on? do I need a special wrench to clamp it? I though I have heard that before?

Go to Youtube and search Sharkbite. You'll find pretty much all the info you seek and more.

Its Sunday but I could not resis this ... With those clamp-on saddles, you have to be very careful about applying torque to the saddle above the valve. Twisting that connection might bend the puncture point and produce a leak.

You will, of course, shut off the water before starting. You will, of course, drain the system so you don't get a bath when trying to do your work.

Pre-size your two wrenches so you can work quickly. Assuming you DO NOT want to keep the old valves, you can apply heat directly to the outside of the threaded portion. You do not have to heat it until it glows! Just apply 25-30 seconds of heat around the fitting. Set the wrenches and pull steadily ... The old pipe dope will give way easily.

Let the fittings cool ... sometimes a wet rag can speed the process and a cold beer. Apply fresh pipe dope to the threads of the new valves, making sure the red valve is on the hot side (no, duh?). Turn it by hand until it starts to grab. Reapply your wrenches and turn smoothly to get the outlet in the proper orientation ... remembering NOT to allow torque on the saddle fitting as best you can. You are NOT strong enough to strip the threads, so be as muscular as you need to be.

Attach your spanking new braided laundry supply lines. Turn water back on an marvel at the fact there are no leaks.

Get the spouse and say boldly: "TAH DAH!" Collect congratulations and kisses.

lips 02.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks callmevilla, I will probably do it tomorrow. Very sexy reply,lol

Back