lawnmower help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texanator

Reaction score
A little over 2yrs ago I got me a "personal pace" self propelled Toro. It's driven by an adjustable tension belt from the handle bar (giving it your "personal pace"). Well, three belts in two years and now the transmission is gone. I've lost faith in these "fancy" belt driven pushmowers. My old lawnmower didn't have any belts. It is about 14 years old and I happened to give it to my tenants 2 years ago to use until it dies (I was stupid), it has a simple "forward" lever and it is still cutting like new.

I do have about 0.4acres of heavily treed lawn and I don't go easy on the mowers, I do run over half inch sticks and whatnot (yeah, yeah, I know).

Anyways I'm trying to find a beltless self propelled push mower with a removable bag (I mulch or bag, never side shoot). I am having the hardest time finding one. I want a simple and tough mower, single speed is fine, no adjustable tension belt, anyone know of one? I really really don't want to get a $700+ commercial grade honda, more like half the price if possible, or am I completely outta luck?

thanks,
IAM

Get a John Deere!!! they are the best:D :D I have a very old (20 year) 14sb self propelled mower that runs like new and starts on the first pull every time.
Justin

I have a Husqvarna Self Propelled Mower, the 675 Series, which from a mechanical standpoint is great, but the drive system leaves a little to be desired. I probably wouldn't go with another one.

Which self propelled walk behind john deere or husqvarna models are available that aren't belt driven? I'm looking for exact model number.

IAM

I love my Honda twin blade self-propelled. Engine starts with one pull every time. It has twin blades for mulching (never bag). It's virtually maintenance free. An oil change and new spark plug every two years, a blade sharpen once a year is about all I've ever done. It's the easiest mower I've ever used at home.
For the top rated mowers for 2008 check out this page.

Which self propelled walk behind john deere or husqvarna models are available that aren't belt driven? I'm looking for exact model number.

IAM

It turns out my Husqvarna is belt driven, so probably wouldn't be what you were looking for anyway.

Back