Intro and Project

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paisley_Chic

Reaction score
Hi! I'm Denise and I have a 102-year-old, 8 room shotgun house that I am remodeling. I live in southeast GA, where it's humid most of the time.

So far, I've completed the bedrooms, installed most of the windows, and finished the dining room. I have to add extra storage, because I have only 2 closets - one of which is my tool closet. I also have to insulate the entire house.

I am looking at adding a mudroom, and glassing in one of the porches so I can have somewhere to sit in the winter and still enjoy the sun.

The bathroom is going to be enlarged, the kitchen sub-floor has to be replaced, and all the plumbing will have to be replaced. Wiring will also have to be redone, because Dad, in his infinite wisdom, wired four rooms together, which cuts down on what I can plug in and run at the same time. I need all the rooms on their own breaker.

I am really glad I found this forum - I have spent the past couple of hours reading all the posts, and quite a few questions have been answered.

Looking forward to the help with my posts!

Ask away, someone will be by to chime in ....eventually.:)

Welcome Denise:
Wow! what a project you have going there. We wish you all the best with it and will offer any advice you may need. We love to see pictures too; it helps us to understand what you need.
Glenn

Welcome! I love the old houses...

Enjoy the board. Don't be surprised if it takes a day or two to get responses to questions. I don't think people are on the site all day. Probably off doing some project or other.

Cheers!

Hi everyone. Thanks for the welcome. I'll be posting pics soon - unfortunately, Dad's no longer here, so I'm doing the remodel alone. Any suggestions for links, books, or magazines would be greatly appreciated. I already use www.doityourself.com, http://www.refdesk.com/doitself.html, and http://www.oldhouseweb.com. I do have some carpentry experience, so at least I'm not all thumbs when it comes to using the power tools, or swinging a hammer. The only contractor I will be hiring is an electrician. I had a freak experience helping Dad and I'm not about to go there again - fortunately, the volt got the screwdriver instead of me.

Dont let that scare you. Making sparks and welding screwdrivers is what makes electrical work fun.... :D

Dont let that scare you. Making sparks and welding screwdrivers is what makes electrical work fun.... :D

LOL Not if all you're left holding is the handle! There wasn't anything left of the main bit.

<walks out shaking head....:rolleyes: > :D

Yeah, I'm pretty careful with electrical stuff...

You know you're in trouble when you see the electrons escaping (read= smoke:eek: )

One more link http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/

You can download DIY tips to your iPod or other MP3 player, listen to them on your PC or just read a transcript online. How cool is that? Asking a question on the site will likely spurn the Handyguys to discuss your situation on a future episode.

Thanks to houserepairtalk for running a great forum and not getting cranky with me for slipping in little plugs for my podcast here and there!

Back