Metal Roofing or Regular Shingles??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renopoor

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and I have found some pretty valuable advice, so thanks to all of you....

My question is this, I am in the process of having an addition added to my cottage, now I need to add a new roof and I was wondering if I should shingle the entire roof or install a metal roof.

I live in Ontario Canada so the roof will have snow and ice build up on it, I don't want to have to build a new deck every spring when the snow and ice slides down in one big chunk and taking out my deck and railings during the spring thaw......

Thanks....

Welcome to House Repair Talk, we hope you enjoy the site and feel free to post any questions you may have or help others if you can. Now as to your question about roofing, either are good choices IF installed correctly, metal will be the more expensive of the 2 options IF applied properly.

You dont want your house to stand out like a sore thumb if you are trying to sell it. Metal roofing does last longer...if maintained...all roofs will eventually fail. Shingles are fairly inexpensive and come in a wide variety...either way I do not thing either option would detract from your home. Value is in the eye of the beholder...if it stands out you probably are going to detract from the value of you home in many peoples eyes, but if it goes with the period and style of your home metal roofing is the way to go.

renopoor,
I understand your worry about the thawed slush--which is VERY heavy--sliding off the roof and destroying your deck. Not only could this heavy snow destroy your deck, though, it can also really hurt someone. My family and I had the same problem with a home in northern Idaho where there is heavy snowfall in the winter. I'll give you the low-down on how we outfitted houses out in Idaho to protect against this.

If you decide to go with metal or slate roof then you will definitely want to install some type of snow guard. There are several companies that make them--google search "snow guards for roofs"--and it is possible to install them yourself. Snow guards are devices that stop avalanching snow--sort of like avalanche barriers up in the mountains--and instead allow snow to come off the roof in safe quantities.
A lot of people say you do not need snow guards on composite roofs. However, whether or not your composite roof requires snow guards depends on many things such as the slope of your roof, average snowfall, etc. In my experience you can get away with no snow guards on a composite roof as long as you shovel off the snow regularly (which should be done anyway).

I hope this helps!
-James

My company is<a href="http://www.masterswa.com">Masters Construction</a>.
I'm glad to answer any roofing questions you may have!

Last edited:
Thanks to all who responede to my question, I have decided to go with a 30 year shingled roof. By the time it needs replacing it will be somebody elses problem....thanks again.

many people are putting on face screwed metal roofing,its just a matter of time before leaks start forming around the screw heads

Back