wiring question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin_dupuis

Reaction score
I just dis-assembled a ceiling fan and it was wired into a single wall switch (the kind where you push for on or off and then turn to dim or brighten the light on the fan) I wired a new light to it with the black to black and white to white and had a red wire left over. The light turned on when i flipped the breaker back on but the switch wouldn't turn it off or dim it. Any other wiring configurations that anyone knows of that will let me dim and shut off the light?

The electrical starts at the ceiling, the fan being wired directly to that. The wire for the light is connected to the ceiling power, then to the switch and back up, so you can switch the light without switching the ceiling fan. You apparantly have the light connected directly to the power at the ceiling.

Remove the switch plate from the wall and you should see the red wire you mentioned. The power comes from the ceiling to the switch, then back up via that red wire. If so, that's the one your light should be connected to.

Let us know how it goes. :)

I still don't completely understand...I know nothing about electrical work. If I have a black and a white on the light I bought, which colours coming out of the ceiling do I hook them to?

how-to-wire-a-ceiling-fan-light.gif

Back