Brick mortar recs?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaskBoy

Reaction score
I need a fairly fast setting (30-45 minutes or so work time) brick mortar that I can get at HD or Lowe's. I'm hoping the same mortar is hard enough to drill for concrete screws within a couple hours or less. Thanks.

Sorry TaskBoy:
The mortar will hold the wall up in that short a time but it is too quick for the concrete screws. I think they would strip out with the least pressure.
The theory on holding the bricks is that each brick supports only its weight above.
Glenn

Sorry TaskBoy:
The mortar will hold the wall up in that short a time but it is too quick for the concrete screws. I think they would strip out with the least pressure.
The theory on holding the bricks is that each brick supports only its weight above.
Glenn

Sorry Glenn, what I meant is that I'd drill into the bricks, not the mortar itself. It would be to attach Hardibacker. The job site is actually an existing brick wall where I pulled off some top row bricks as they were jutting out. Some broke off flush with the rest of the wall; others came out loose but I wedged them back in. This is basically to solidify the wall a little before I slap Hardi over it. The rest of the 3-foot high wall is very solid.

I used Rapidset Mortar Mix. It is scary-fast! It kicked off in about 10 minutes! I says it hardens in 15, full strength in one hour and that is about right. I had to mix very small amounts--like a 1/2 gallon worth, slap it on, wash the bucket and trowel and then mix another. The mortar is made to harden underwater, stirring or trying to wet the mix won't slow it. I had two gallons of it kick off on me when I first started before I figured out to do small batches. Now I have a nice 5-gallon bucket doorstop.

Back