tile over finished drywall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
Hi all, does tile go over unfinished drywall? can it go over painted drywall? thanks

I'm sure it CAN go on finished drywall. I, personally, would not tile onto finished drywall. You want to cement/glue the tiles to the wall, not the paint and texture on the wall.

Thanks for the answer wasn't quite sure about this. guess it's better to do it right the first time. thanks again.

years ago when doing my first bathroom renovation I ran out of hardibacker and was too cheap to buy another two sheets - so I strung up some drywall instead and tiled over it. 4x4 - floor to ceiling - hangs just fine even considering the humidity. I've had that wall open since then (fro mthe other side) to do drywall in the adjoining room and noticed no problems).

But I don't recommend it necessarily, I'm expecting it to fail sooner than the areas where I tiled properly onto hardibacker. Yet it can be done and will adhere.

Back