Help????

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNewman

Reaction score
I have a problem! Sold our home and during the inspetion they found a row of clay brick (disentergrating I might add) between the foundation and the sill. Apperantly my house is not even bolted down. Its just resting on the bricks. Is this rare? Has anyone ever heard of this. How do I fix it??? Any reply will be greatly appriciated! Thanks

Not rare, It would help to know when it was built. The building codes change and refine with time. There may have been no restriction where you live when your home was built. The only option you have if you intend to fix it is to match the size of the soft bricks with blocks. use a jackto just lift the weight off of the bricks, slide them out and slide the blocks in. Steel shims are necessary to fill the void left if the blocks are not tall enough.After you get the blocks in, then you can use straps to anchor the house to the foundation.

You should see some of the old farm houses I've seen. They stacked stone piers and notched the beams to lay level on them. Then built the house on that.. scary stuff when the house starts to settle and the stones start to slip sideways..

Your problem would be best left to a professional, but if you do a little at a time, you should be able to get it done.

WOW, thanks for the advice. The house was built in 1969 and we live in Springfield, MO. When you say strap it down ,do you mean we dont have to bolt it through the sill plate and all that. That sounds next to immpossible to me. Strapnig sounds much easier.
Again thank you!

Back