Carrier Model # FB4ANF048

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djones4506

Reaction score
Good Afternoon.

I am experiencing problems with my heater and A/C. I believe it has to do with the fan.

I turned on the heat this morning. After several minutes, I realized nothing was happening. I went to thermostat, and set temp higher. Light blinked "Heat On". I looked up the thermostat info, and that meant the thermostat was sending a signal to the unit. However, nothing was happening. I tried turning on just the fan, nothing also. I then tried A/C. Still nothing.

Then, after a few minutes, I could hear a humming from the Carrier hallway unit. Upon reading more on the thermostat, it says the thermostat will not allow unit to turn on within 5 minutes of being shut off, which is why I hadn't heard the humming 'til now. It had apparently been humming earlier and I missed it. I turned off the circuit breaker and opened the Carrier. It was warm inside, which seemed to indicate that the heating elements are working. I also looked at the 5 Amp fuse, and it too seemed fine. I turned the circuits back on and identified the humming as coming from the fan motor. I again turned off breakers. Checked that fan blades turned freely in both directions. Not sure what else I need to look at.

Furthermore. I had a heating/ AC company in during January as the heating elements were blown and needed replacing. Any chance this could be related?
If anyone has any ideas of what i could do myself, please advise. I can't afford another bill if I can somehow rectify this myself.

Sincerely

Daniel

Sounds like a bad fan motor capacitor or a bad fan motor. Check to see if your getting proper voltage to the fan motor.

If the fan motor runs after you give it a push it may be the capacitor. $20 for the part.

Latest posts

Back