Adding a utility Sink

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something like this would work...

3225d1321231622-adding-utility-sink-utility-sink-washer.png

utility sink and washer.png

Looks pretty straight forward. My only real issue I see is how to get the new plumbing in place of the old plumbing with the bottom piece fixed in the ground and the vertical vent fixed as well. Is there a trick to this?

Okay you should have enough room at the bottom to cut the pipe below the sani-tee for the washer standpipe. Calculate where you want the utility sink drain to come in and make the cut. You can run a dogleg on the sink drain after the vent on the drain side...

Cut up above for the vent and if you don't have enough wiggle to connect using the socket on the vent sani-tee then use a banded coupling such as a Fernco Pro-Flex...

O.k. I was out of town all week so I didn't make any progress, but I did knock out the drain side plumbing this afternoon. I'll take care of the water side tomorrow and hook up the sink to make sure everything works and then I'll be back onto the drywall. Thanks for all the help. I'll post completed pictures.

IMAG0522.jpg

Just have to put all the drywall back together. No leaks, everything drains. Thanks for all the help

IMAG0523.jpg

Okay, a couple of notes, not too bad though...

You installed a sani-tee on its back on the sink waste line vs a wye and 45 or, combo.

The sani-tee connecting the vent at the top is reversed.

You installed a drop in the drain after the trap and before the vent causing an s-trap to be created.

You used rubber Fernco Couplings vs the banded couplings I suggested like the Fernco Proflex series.

I did end up fixing the drop in the drain so that isn't a problem, and I did swap out the couplings, so that one was fixed as well. Not sure if I'll address the other issues.

The sani-tees don't matter as much as the other stuff so nice job...

The sani-tees don't matter as much as the other stuff so nice job...

Thanks. I learned quite a bit on this job, which is one reason I tackle these sort of things.

As a side note, how many of you and is it common to plumb gray water out of the house for irrigation purposes?

That's where it's been relative to the washer drain since the house was built. Any real reason it may be necessary?

Yes. Could resolute in a electrical shock. Might want to look into a WET cover for that, since it will not be GFCI protected.

Yes. Could resolute in a electrical shock. Might want to look into a WET cover for that, since it will not be GFCI protected.

It is protected with GFCI on another circuit. House only has 3 outlets with switches and the rest are tied into them. That was new to me and really a pain the first time one blew after a power surge.

A washing machine or any appliance that's not temperarly plugged in should not be on a GFI.

As a side note, how many of you and is it common to plumb gray water out of the house for irrigation purposes?

There are some rather specific code requirements regarding gray water systems. I have not installed any yet, but have done some work on one at an outlet mall nearby. All of the toilets and urinals there are fed with gray water.

A washing machine or any appliance that's not temperarly plugged in should not be on a GFI.

Why not?

From the 2008 NEC:
210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.​
(7) Laundry, utility, and wet bar sinks — where the receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink.​

There is no exceptions listed for washing machines and appliances temporarily plugged in...

GFCI Protection does not work based on load, it works on current leakage escaping from the hot to neutral loop. If an appliance is tripping the GFCI then there is current leakage which coud present a shock hazard so it should be repaired...

Back