Home Addition - Slab

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotth220

Reaction score
We are looking to reconfigure the entrance to our home from the garage. We are wanting to utilize what is currently a door that open to the side of the garage to open into what we hope to build as a mudroom / coat room, then enter into the house from the side. it will be approximately 12 x 6 hallway essentially.

My question is about the slab needed to support this. I found this in the local code
Floor Slabs On Grade

• 4” of stone, 6 mil vapor barrier, 1” x 24” rigid perimeter insulation and 4” of concrete with a ½” thermal break
What does that mean i am needing? A 4" bed of stone, a 6 mil vapor barrier on top of it, then a layer of insulation, then an additional 4 inches of concrete? I am not sure what the 1/2 thermal break is either...

Thanks....

Floor Slabs On Grade, to describe different things depending on area it is used. Where I am yoiu would also need a foundation and a footing below frost level.
So where abouts are you and welcome to the site.

You will have to check for frost protection depth there. And you will likely need a footing , foundation and then the floor.
Back to your question then.
The insulation foam would be on the inside of the foundation either against the wall or on the flat under the floor, everything is made water tight with the sheet poly and the thermal break is between the floor and the foundation.

Is this already a covered area in the garage?

No, it is new add on outside of the home.... I will build a visio and try and attach it.

If the rest of thew house is slab on grade you can learn a lot by digging a hole to see what you have now. Or if you hae down spouts you could measure how deep the pipe is that they run into.

Highlighted area is new construction. Slab would be approx 6X12. the first drawing is planned, the second drawing is current. it is not to scale.

house.jpg

housepre.jpg

Last edited:
You have drawn in a double line perimiter, is that all there already? If not just remove what isn't there.

Ya, that was not what I was expecting.:D
Print those two pictures and head down to the permit departmant and ask them what you will need. I suspect you will have to dig it out and add the footing and foundation and they may call for a geo-tech to check the soil condition when you have it dug out.

Latest posts

Back