Lightweight 12 foot compact ladder

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoyntonStu

Reaction score
I need to climb a set of narrow stairs with a ladder in order to reach the attic from a closet. (I have 2 units).

I have to get up there twice a year to flush out the a/c condensate lines.

I have other ladders, but this ladder would be dedicated for this purpose.

I believe that a 10 foot read would be fine for an 8 foot ceiling.

One solution that comes to mind, is to buy an extension ladder ($25 Craigs List) and cut it into a pair of 6 foot sections.

I don't want to spend a lot for a Little Giant or a Gorilla.

Another possibility is to mimic the wood folding attic ladder concept and hinge two 5 foot sections.

Ideas?

Buying a used ladder and cutting it down to make it usable sound like a plan. Don't you love these builders that think the only place you can put the access is the closet.

Another possibility is to mimic the wood folding attic ladder concept and hinge two 5 foot sections.
Use a hard, strong wood and bolt, not screw, the fasteners.

Loktite on the bolts wouldn't hurt, either.

Buying a used ladder and cutting it down to make it usable sound like a plan. Don't you love these builders that think the only place you can put the access is the closet.

The A/C Air Humidifier and Condensation pans are up there.

I can't begin to imagine how anyone could get a unit through that small rectangle.

Anyone know?

They put it up there before the drywall went up from the hallway. The best part is all the insulation in the closet when your done. I would see if there is a chance of moving the access to the hall or evan a bedroom.

They put it up there before the drywall went up from the hallway. The best part is all the insulation in the closet when your done. I would see if there is a chance of moving the access to the hall or evan a bedroom.

Great idea.

I bought a used lightweight 16 foot ladder for $20 in Craigslist.

The kind with the spring-loaded J capture, no pulley.

I believe that half of it will work and make the stairs.

Back