DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > What did you do today?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:58 AM  
zannej

Liked 481 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 2747

Had to deal with my mother acting like a toddler. She asked me to bring her food in bed, but she couldn't find her spoon. I had to do something and said I would be right back. Was gone less than 3 minutes, came back and she'd thrown her bowl on the floor in a tantrum. I scolded her while cleaning it up. I asked her if she wanted me to bring her a spoon, but suddenly she decided not to talk to me. Folded her arms, put on her angry toddler face, turned her head away, closed her eyes and wouldn't speak. So, I took the bowl out and left her for a couple hours. Later went back to check on her and she was still being nasty to me-- griped about not being able to find things (not my fault she keeps her bed and nightstand cluttered). I found her spoon for her, but she was still being stubborn-- so I distracted her by telling her about a video of a cat smelling a durian and gagging. That got her laughing and then she agreed to eat a jello fruit cup followed by a banana.

Played with the kittens for awhile. I set up a cat tree for them and they have been climbing in it. One of my adult cats, Predicate, got jealous of all the time I've been spending with other kitties, so as soon as I walked back in the room he jumped on me and wanted to be held.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:51 AM  
Flyover
Trying not to screw things up worse
Liked 70 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 118

@Frodo:

I've been out presenting at a conference for two days and haven't had a chance to do anything with the house. I'm gonna ease back into housework, but I'm not starting today.

zannej Likes This 
Old 10-16-2017, 02:35 AM  
zannej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover View Post
@Frodo:

I've been out presenting at a conference for two days and haven't had a chance to do anything with the house. I'm gonna ease back into housework, but I'm not starting today.
That's what I tell myself pretty much every day. I need to stop the procrastinating. LOL.

Sometimes I'll be all "Time to start on this!" and then within a couple minutes I get winded/tired and am like "I'll just take a small break" that ends up turning in to a 12-hour nap. Chronic fatigue blows, but I really need to start working on getting my energy up and improving my cardio.

Last edited by zannej; 10-16-2017 at 02:38 AM.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:48 PM  
MrMiz
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

building a loft in the shop. I got the ledger, post, support beam and 1 joist in. I too am fighting off a cold. I was miserable by the end of the day. Came inside and fell asleep almost instantly and now I can't got back to sleep.
zannej Likes This 
Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM  
frodo

Liked 1180 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 413

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannej View Post
That's what I tell myself pretty much every day. I need to stop the procrastinating. LOL.

Sometimes I'll be all "Time to start on this!" and then within a couple minutes I get winded/tired and am like "I'll just take a small break" that ends up turning in to a 12-hour nap. Chronic fatigue blows, but I really need to start working on getting my energy up and improving my cardio.
have yourself checked for lime tick disease

I had a severe case of dongivafuks last year, it lasted about 30 days

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum/...faq=supporting
zannej Likes This 
Old Today, 06:10 AM  
zannej

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo View Post
have yourself checked for lime tick disease

I had a severe case of dongivafuks last year, it lasted about 30 days
For me, it's not even that I don't care about things or don't want to do things, it's that I don't have the energy to do things. Lime/tick has never come up in my bloodwork, but EBV did. I got mono back in college (sadly, I got it from sharing a giant cup of iced tea with a group of friends) in the 90s (right before I was about to finish my degree-- I had ONE class left but was too exhausted and kept having throat infections) and have had chronic recurring Epstein-Barr Virus ever since. Some days I'll be fine and have decent energy and other days I'm like a zombie. And I'll have others where I have energy for a couple hours and then I just feel so exhausted I can't stay awake and I have to nap throughout the day. And now that my back is messed up, I have trouble with bending and lifting. Yesterday I was in zombie mode and slept almost all day- and after waking up to feed my mother, I was still exhausted and went back to sleep again. She woke me up around 3am to wash her feet and I napped for another hour and now I'm awake, although groggy.
My symptoms are similar to Klein Levins Syndrome, but that tends to only affect young people and seems to go away when they get older. It can be hard for other people to grasp that my brain just doesn't fully switch on, I can't concentrate, feel like I'm in a fog, and my eyes keep trying to shut, and sleeping doesn't make me feel refreshed or less tired, I can't have caffeine, and that exercising to try to boost my stamina usually makes me crash hard for the next couple of days where I can barely drag myself out of bed. People are always saying "Oh, just do x and you will get over it" but I've tried the suggestions (excluding energy drinks) and they don't work. I am wondering if I should ask my doctor to up my thyroid meds to see if it helps. I was worse before I started on them.
And I realize it must sound silly when there are people who live with chronic pain and serious injuries who get more done. I inherited my mother's wussiness I guess. LOL.

Speaking of Mom, I mentioned to her sisters about the bowl throwing tantrum and her eldest sister was worried that she is going senile. I had to explain that she's been having tantrums like that my entire life and has always had a hard time dealing when she doesn't get her way. But I guess since we traveled far away and haven't seen each other in years, she didn't get to see it happening over the years and didn't know about it.

On the good news front, the weather got cooler. It was 70 degrees the other day. When the sun comes up more, I'm hoping to take a look at some stuff outside to see what I need to do to fix the waterline for my dog waterer and maybe work on cleaning up some stuff in the house more as well. My brother has thrown trash all over the front room and is not going to clean it up. I want to start early on cleanup so my sister can sleep there when she visits. I know if I wait til the last minute, I won't get it done.

Old Today, 12:10 PM  
zannej

Had to go into town to mail a letter and get some stuff at the store. Got home and Mom had been sick and had an "accident" so I had to hand wash her pants.

Ok, it's still too hot today, but my friends came out and cut down more trees. I think all they need to do now is drag the cut trees out of the yard and burn them. They even fixed my side gate and cut down the trees against my car port and next in front of the barn. They also started looking at stuff inside the house to try to figure out what needs to be fixed on the electrical and talked about helping with replacing the subfloors and such. One of them noticed that the breaker for the dryer wasn't flipped all the way on so he pushed it more. I wonder if that was causing the error where it said the heating element wasn't working (according to the error code on the display). Will have to test it out later and see if it works.

My friend who was getting harassed about his yard (having someone complain) found out who was complaining-- a parishioner at the church next door. He tried to send a message to the pastor to discuss it but found he was blocked. One or more of the parishioners had lodged a complaint about EVERYTHING in his yard-- much of it wasn't even true. But, my friend wen to City Hall to protest the citations and mention that someone had vandalized his yard prior to calling. The mayor personally called him back later to apologize and said that they will no longer be sending citations and will ignore further complaints from the harassing party. To make things even better, my friend discovered that the church is actually built partway on his property and their fence and sign are way over on his property. He may not be able to get the building moved or anything, but he could move the fence and make them take down or move their sign and the mayor would back him up on it.