Framing question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GolfnRL

Reaction score
I have a new project where I want to make a pantry in a utility room space that is currently occupied by the clothes dryer. I intend to move the dryer across the room and stack it on the washer. The space is 32 1/2 w x 36 d x 96 h. I have a simple plan to install shelving on the 96" wall and that won't be a problem. I want to add a bi-fold door but there currently isn't a door frame in the space. How do I add a door frame for a bi-fold door? I've added a few pictures. Those are standard 12" cabinets and they will come out. Will I have to tear out the drywall to build a door frame?

img008.jpg

img010.jpg

img011.jpg

Actually, you may not need a frame for a bi-fold door at all. A bi-fold door mounts on the floor and on a track overhead. You will need to frame in above the door (a header) so you'll have a place to mount the track..
When you buy the door, the rough opening dimensions will be listed on the box or in the installation instructions. Build your header to the height specified.
But I believe a 32" wide door will work fine in a 32 1/2" opening :)

Agreed... take a look at how some other bi-fold door is installed and everything should become clear. Very easy installation.... you just need to check out someone else's door first - then proceed.

Let me make sure I am following your thought. I need to install a header dropped from the ceiling 12" to give the 84" door height and I'll need to dry-wall the header and finish it out. There won't be any side frame on the door installation as bi-fold doors don't require them? I have ceramic tile floors in that space. Is there a way to mount the bottom door mounts to the wall instead of the floor?

I believe I have seen wall mount bracket for bottom of doors. And your header will only need to be a double stack 2x4. Also not framing a 2x4 down the side walls like they mentioned will save you grief, and give you more room side to side. How are you relocating power for dryer? Sorry, just curious. Good luck.....

The bottom bracket will typically have 2 screw slots to fasten to the wall and one hole to fasten to the floor. I would want to fasten it to the floor but ceramic tile is easily cracked.. There may be a different bottom bracket available but I have never used anything different.

The header? yeah, I'd go ahead and drywall it together. Use glue on the 2x4s against the walls and fasten the top to the walls at the corners and to any ceiling joists you can locate. Use screws to fasten the drywall so you don't knock anything loose by pounding around with a hammer.

Thanks for the input...as always what looks to be a simple project has some nuance. I don't plan to move the power to the dryer. There is a 220 outlet in the space where I plan to make the pantry but it will be hidden by the shelves. The dryer I purchased is gas so electric supply won't be a problem when I move the dryer. By the way I did look at options when considering a gas or electric dryer. I paid an additional $65 for the gas dryer but plumbing the gas supply will be a snap and that saves me the headache and cost of moving the 220.

I'll look at some bi-fold doors and see what the options are for attaching the bottom of the doors, either to the floor or the wall.

Back