leaky basement wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapliquid

Reaction score
Alright, it's been getting worse, the water comes from the back basement wall of the house, which is like a cinder block style, cause the cracks in it are the lines from them and it slowly comes out, now the concrete in the backyard has a nice line going across the back of the house where it meets it, should i fill the crack up top and then seal the basement? or think about laying all new concrete up top and wait to see if it stops coming into the basement? fixing the basement flooding is the biggest concern in the house for when we sell it. Your thoughts?

oh sry for posting in wrong spot, didn't really wander the forum so much yet, please move :/

Hello CeapLiquid:
Yes, stopping the water from comming down will be a tremendous help. If the crack is just barely visible it may need to be cut out with a masonry blade in your power saw; likewise, if the crack is over 1/4" wide it will need a layer of foam cord to back the caulking. Then fill the crack with a silicone or butyl rubber caulk.
Also caulk any cracks in the block wall and roll on a heavy coat of a cemetious paint such as Dura-Lok.
Glenn

Well i was checking it out today, and looking at it, the crack not only runs along the whole back of the house, it goes along the driveway side, i'd have to get pictures to be a little more specific, it's in bad shape in my opinion, but it's alot of money, i want to do it right the first time, not the 4th time lol

When you take pictures post them here for all to see if you can. I would want to see a wide shot picture of the entire side of the house, from the outside, where you have water issues.

Quite often the water can be controlled with proper grading, gutter fixes, downspout extensions, window well covers, etc. Other outside things can, and should, be done first as well before caulking up a crack inside.

we fixed gutters and added extensions on downspouts to put it away from house.

Back