Possible Problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudy46

Reaction score
I think I have a frozen coil(black rubberish coated pipe fr outside to furnac@e/ac.) It has breaks IN the coating with icy pieces sticking out. I put the fan on a couple of he ago. How will I know when I can turny
Ac back on? Should I repair the breaks in the insulation and how would I do that? The wholesale
Started when someone put a plastic bagged filter I'm front
Of the air intake and it just sucked it over to the vent covering it about 65%.

The part that would freeze is the inside condenser. The outside coil will not freeze but the pipe you mention will be cold and could ice up but it won't hurt anything. The fact that the condenser was blocked prevented the cold from being transferred to the air and should work fine when not blocked. Look past your filter to observe the condenser for ice.

Remove all filters except the one inside the furnace cabinet. You must maintain adequate air flow or things will begin to ice up.
Make sure the condensor coils outside have plenty of room to breath (no blockages to the fins, such as bushes or plastic bags).

As stated, low air flow across the interior coils or evaporator can cause them to freeze up. Setting the system to off and then turning the fan from "auto" to "on" will usually thaw the evaporator coils in no time (if its been running a couple of hours, you're good to go) Duct tape over the suction line insulation will take care of that problem if its an area where you don't want the line sweating/dripping.

Back