Snakes...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulfbabe

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for taking the time to respond to my 'Thread'!
I live in a fairly large neighborhood and the back of my home is backed up to a pond. (I am shaking thinking about them) Water moccasins are in the pond, crawling in the lawns and today I found one inside my patio. Thankfully my two cats, Summer and Malibu, who are just a year and 3 months old, somehow had it laying there motionless for me to see when I came home. I immediately (screamed first) called my neighbor b/c she had told me about something that keeps snakes away. Well, she said it was Lime that burned their bellies, to get that. Is this true? I went and bought 5, 40lb bags today but it does not say anything about snakes. Does this really work? I know I will be busy first thing in the a.m. putting Lime out if it does work! Please if anyone knows, write back!

Thank you for your time,
Scared Gulfbabe

Moth balls help repel them too. Less messy. I know nothing about lime and snakes. Snakes do not interest me in any way.

I wish you well in your efforts.

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I wish I had bought moth balls then! I kind of went shopping in a panic scared mode and came home with 200lbs of lime, I really did!, and my home is about 3200sqft and my lawn is only about three of my home so, I think I may have went overboard, I just wish they would leave!!!! Thanks again! Gulf

Lime will work.

I have a retaining wall made out of railroad crossties. This wall used to be infested with snakes. I now put lime around the wall and on it and since I started I have not seen another snake.
Living next to a pond comes with an increased responsibility. You will definately have to keep your grass mowed.

Good luck!

Lime may be bad for snakes but I'm not sure-- it sounds like it's working for Hunari. The reason it doesn't say anything on the bag is because you bought lime that was probably meant for construction purposes--- to be added to portland cement morter. For those of us who remember, lime is a great to decompose organic material --- it was a prime material for outhouses! People also use lime on their grass & soil to neutralize its acidic content. I wouldn't think you want cats or kids to come into contact with it--- look at the warnings on the bag.

CraigFL said:
Lime may be bad for snakes but I'm not sure-- it sounds like it's working for Hunari. The reason it doesn't say anything on the bag is because you bought lime that was probably meant for construction purposes--- to be added to portland cement morter. For those of us who remember, lime is a great to decompose organic material --- it was a prime material for outhouses! People also use lime on their grass & soil to neutralize its acidic content. I wouldn't think you want cats or kids to come into contact with it--- look at the warnings on the bag.

I did read the bag before I bought it and it said Garden Lime and to put it on your flowers and vegetables to control the pH balance. I didn't read anywhere that it was to/or can be mixed with mortar. But now that I know there is more than one kind I will surely be on the lookout! As far as the warnings for my children and my cats, my cats are only inside pets and my boys are not allowed near the pond without supervision.
Thank you again!

HUNARI said:
Lime will work.

I have a retaining wall made out of railroad crossties. This wall used to be infested with snakes. I now put lime around the wall and on it and since I started I have not seen another snake.
Living next to a pond comes with an increased responsibility. You will definately have to keep your grass mowed.

Good luck!

Thank you Hunari! I did put the lime out and thought it has only been a few days, I have not yet seen another snake yet! I hope that it stays that way!
Keeping the grass cut is most definitely a must! Gulf;)

Back