Stripping paint the easy way?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachary

Reaction score
I'm stripping paint off the cabinet doors in my bathroom and at first it went great, apply the stripper, let it sit for 20 minutes, come back, and scrape....the first coat came off like nothing!
Then the next coat was/is incredibly stubborn....it doesn't bubble up at all, no matter how long I let the stripper sit...it's got primer underneath it, could that be why?
I was getting it off with the scraper but very little at a time and I had to scrape very hard....a wire brush was also doing the trick but this scratches the wood....any options I'm missing here?

I'm using Strip-ease btw

Are you stripping the doors to stain them or repaint?

Zachary:

The first door was probably a latex paint. The second door is an oil based paint.

Can you tell me what paint stripper you are using? Maybe look on the label and see if you can find any of these words:

1. methylene chloride
2. dimethyl adipate
3. d-Limonene

NM guys I stripped a door, stained it, it turned out like crap, so I'm just going to repaint the cabinets

Zachary:

I looked up the MSDS sheet for Strip-ease from ABC Compounding.

Strip-ease uses a variety of solvents to remove paint, but it doesn't have any methylene chloride in it.

You can either just strip the latex paint off any oil based paint on the cabinet doors, then allow the remaining oil based paint on the doors to harden, then sand them to roughen the old paint, and then repaint with an oil based paint,]

or

Chuck that Strip-ease and buy some paint stripper that's made from methylene chloride, like Polystrippa.

You need methylene chloride to remove oil based paints effectively once they're dried.

Latest posts

Back