Permanant Wood Floor in basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catfish15

Reaction score
I currently leave in Atlanta, Georgia and in a home that was built in 2001. The orginal owners did not have the basement finsihed and it is currently a dirt subfloor covered with plastic. The height is about 7'2" from dirt floor to bottom of joists. I was wondering if I could excavate some of the existing dirt out and then then install a think mil plastic, and then build a PT wood subfloor with joists above? This would give me a "project" to do and save on the cost of pouring a floor with concrete. Does or has anyone had any insight on this? Is it a good idea?

Pressure treated wood is not for indoor use. It can give off toxic fumes.

I can think of many reasons to not do it this way.
A doorway needs at bare min. 7'.
Any run of 2X's would need to be at least 2 X 10'S for floor joist.
Your not going to find below grade or direct ground contact 2 X's.
And the list go's on and on.

You would be fare better off to level the dirt to the height of the footing and put in 3" of concrete,if the footings are deeper just dig it out to 8 ft. Don't go deeper than the drainage pipes on the outside.

Many codes require a 3 1/2"" minimum slab poured on top of the footing projection in contact with the wall to provide positive resistance to the wall possibly sliding.

Dick

Latest posts

Back