Roofing around hydro wires?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle

Reaction score
I wonder if the power company would turn off the power. I guess not.:mad: The picture is deceiving, It is level will hydro pole there, so only 5 feet above the gutters.

ABC_1514.jpg

They are insulated and it's only 240v but if you want you can rent PPE.

I guess the wire would have to be cut to be a problem. It will be the last, so hopefully i will be used to the roof by then.

I gonna have to rebuild that porch too. Think lowering the porch roof 6" is a good idea so the gutter can continue on?

There's the service head, the service mast and the service drop (the wire).

A plastic bucket with a slot cut in the bucket wall and taped to the mast will insulated the first two.

For the last, cut a length of PVC piping lengthwise and tape the two halves together over the wires.

This should insulate you against all but a direct lightning strike.

I'm not messing with that wire no thanks. I guess there is no point in asking the power company to cut it for a half day? I might get the roofer guy for a few hours to finish that part. There is bunch of work to do around there. I think i'll do up to the porch. I plan to do vertical sections. I got it all set up today i just have to put the harness bracket in.

What do you think paint that chimney with ? I suppose the flashing around the chimney can be used with shingles?

Last edited:
I guess the wire would have to be cut to be a problem. It will be the last, so hopefully i will be used to the roof by then.

I gonna have to rebuild that porch too. Think lowering the porch roof 6" is a good idea so the gutter can continue on?

There is a header over the window so lowering the roof will mean lowering the window too.

I got a used window to match the front storm, double slider, for $40. Needs a little paint but an alright vinyl window. At least it is the same size 70"x45" that will be on the front of the porch.
The porch needs to be taken down and rebuilt completely. I guess the pitch won't matter that much. If the pitch is too low it will look funny, but it needs decent run off.. I think the 6-9" bridge should be better solution, means lowering the roof at least as much. Then i can have full gutter for the front roof. I can lower the window now to where i want.

I guess i need a 8' header for that window? Roof should be 2x6 at 16". Do i need hangers. I better do this right in case i get busted because changing the window size, but it is only a porch?
Anchor lag bolt to the concrete base with glue, plastic barrier between the frame and concrete?

Last edited:
We seldom see a header less than 2 2x10s so you may want to jeck a span chart for 2x8s just to be sure and anything over 60" requires 2 jack studs under each end.

Back