Can I use 4x4?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnv713

Reaction score
Putting up a patio cover 35ft long x16ft deep. Can I use four 4x4 8ft tall for vertical post to hold the roof up? Or 6x6s ? Same question for cross brace.

I'd like to go with 6x6 but that's $25 a piece vs $8 for a 4x4 both are 8ft tall. Going to use 4 Simpson galvenized post base. Roof should be about 9 ft high. Patio slab is 4 inches thick. Thanks

Last edited:
4x4 s should be fine. How far apart are you spacing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Hi bud. Glad to see ya here. About 8ft apart. About then years ago a 6x6 gor for about $12 now they're double in price.

You will need more than 4 post supports then. Something like 10 poles. Or is this just on one end?

10 poles would take away the aesthetic of the patio. I'm thinking four 6x6 would suffice on the opposing side of the house. The roof will be tied into the house via a ledger/header board.

This should have been asked before you did the concrete, as it could have been a little thicker for post support. 4x4 are not used for anything structural any more. If you intend on dressing them out later to make them look nice, 4 2x6s nailed together will stay straghter. But if you are dressing them and making them water tight, you don't need treated just use the post supports that hold the post one inch off the concrete.
Beam on top of posts, 4 2x10s by 12 ft four posts.
I would look at trusses for the roof.

This should have been asked before you did the concrete, as it could have been a little thicker for post support.

Yea I've should've made the concrete a bit thicker. Rookie mistake on my part. The post base will be an inch off the concrete okie you said to prevent moisture from seeping in.

Beam on top of post for sure for added height.

Yea that too but I've seen other use 2x6 laid on its side on top of a 6x6 vertical posts to give an additional foot or so in height.

I'm leaning toward metal roof instead of plywood and shingles. What do you guys think about that? Less weight is also an advantage over plywood.

I guess where you live will have the greatest impact on the design. Snow and wind loads and can the house support half the extra load.

In Houston we rarely get any snow, and when we do it's not that much. We do get a decent amount of winds come hurricane season though. Rather have snow than hurricane I'd tell ya.

So discribe your thoughts on the this roof. Hand framed rafter, engineered trusses, attached to house, shed, gable, cottage, support against wind?

Back