Can these wood windows be repaired or replace them?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sufeng

Reaction score
Hi,

I have these three wood awning windows in the basement. Because the leaked deck(Fixed now) above, the top frames of the window are rotten. Can the windows be repaired or it's more cost efficient to replace them? These windows are only 8 years old and I don't know who made these. Here are the pics of the rotten windows.

First, inside view
2nd, inside close up
3rd, outside view
4th, close up view of rotten wood behind the rubber seal
5th, the whole outside view of the windows

Thank You,
Sufeng

2014-07-26 11.32.53.jpg

2014-07-26 11.33.02.jpg

2014-07-26 11.38.05.jpg

2014-07-26 11.37.03.jpg

2014-07-28 07.08.59.jpg

Last edited:
I think it might be worth fixing but I would also want to look at the framing above the window, as the header there is important to the structure of the house.

Ya good place for window if you are a mouse. Pull that stuff out and man up some frame.
78756_5c0720422186306ec8952703de775af3_large.jpg

how did the water get in there in the first place ,? there has to be an entry point, did they put drip cap over top of them ?if there is no drip cap over the window that is probably your problem it shouldn't cost that much to fix them if there is no structural damage

If you had water coming down from the deck, the bigger issue would be if there is any damage to your sill plates above the windows. Not just the windows.

Last edited:
Somethings just wrong with that whole set up
Where's the blocking at the top of that foundation between the joist on the outside edge of the mud sill? (foundation plate)
What's to stop the water from running off the deck from running down behind the siding?

Somethings just wrong with that whole set up
Where's the blocking at the top of that foundation between the joist on the outside edge of the mud sill? (foundation plate)
What's to stop the water from running off the deck from running down behind the siding?

At first I thought it was a solid surface deck but you can see the light between the board above, I wonder what the fix was. The foundation is below the windows but yes, where is that blocking or hangers is it all just sitting on the 2x4?

Back