Is this Condensor Fan Motor bad?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mqshaw

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently had my AC serviced and the tech told me that I need a new contactor and Condensor Fan Motor in the unit.

The tech said that the Fan motor is leaking oil around the seal. So, given that he wanted $600 to replace the part I thought that I would take a look myself. Here is a picture of the fan motor, I am not sure if that is actually "leaking around the seal" or just dirt build-up.

What is your expert recommendation?

Regards,
Mark

IMG_4398.jpg

I've seen motors like this last for years in this condition. If the motor is running ....well, if it aint broke then don't fix it. How does it feel & sound when you spin it by hand? Test the cap and replace as necessary, they only cost a couple of bucks, same with the contactor.
Get as much information off the motor or manual and be prepared to buy a new one when it comes times. Chances are this isn't your over-the-counter motor.

Thanks for your insights. The motor appears to be working fine, it doesn't make a screeching or grinding sound, the fan appears to be spinning freely. I replaced the contactor today, the tech said it was arc'ing and it contacts did look char'd. How will I know if the Cap. is bad?

You will need a volt/ohm meter capable of testing capacitance. If you don't have one, perhaps your local supply house may be able to test it for you. Otherwise, as previously mentioned, they are usually under $10. If you replace the motor, be sure to install a new cap with the new motor.

Latest posts

Back