Garage door repair help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rackt3

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently had a bad experience with a garage door repair company and I desperately need some more knowledgeable opinion.

Just over 3 years ago, we had our garage door replaced. Just yesterday as we opened the garage door, something snapped, and the garage door came tumbling down. Turns out, it was the lift cable. The top hole at the top of the lift cable had completely rusted out, and it broke.

The garage door company came out and claimed that it's not their fault, and my contention was that they put in a crappy lift cable that rusted out and broke. In the end, I paid them to fix it and put a new cable.

My question is, should the lift cable break in under 4 years? and is the garage door company right in disputing any responsibility? If I'm being ripped off, I need to take them to task on it.

Unless there were extenuating circumstances you're not mentioning, it's not likely for any component to fail in less than 4 years. The door manufacturer should have had a materials warranty on its product, but often it's only for a year or two. Check the paperwork that came with the door when originally installed, and of course read everything (including the small print) before filing a claim with them.

More likly the org. door manufacture cheap out on there cables, not the installer.
In 30 years I've never seen a cable rust out. You may want to give it a spray of WD 40 to prevent it from happening agin. Sounds like your garage is to humid.

No, it shouldn't break that fast. Not without some other circumstances going on. The rust would concern me...it shouldn't rust out that fast. Did anything really noteworthy happen in/around your garage in that time frame? Rain Damage or some other kind of leaking?

Back