Framing the walls of my garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I have a couple of simple sounding questions about framing my garage.

I am using 2x6 for framing. How many nails go in the end?

I have 2 LDL for the header for the garage door. I know they get sandwiched together. How do I know how many nails go into them to keep them together? I will be using construction adhesive between them.

I am using aspenite/particle board for the sheeting. Should I put them on while the wall is down?

I am using trusses. I want a door at the front of the attic to put a canoe in. I had the trusses built to give me enough space. However, the opening is too large. Can I just take similar sized boards (2x4, 2x6, etc) to make the opening? Can I simply screw or nail them to the trusses?

Thank you.

2 nails each end is fine

2 LDLs, hopefully a sized for the job. nailed every 16 inches depending on height 3 for 10" 4 for 12" 5 for 14"
5 nails thru or into the king stud on each end, two maybe three jack or cripple studs under each end.

7/16 osb is what you are trying to say I hope.

We nail the framed wall to the floor after checking it for square before we add plywood or osb, as you have no way of nailing it to the floor no add the sheeting after you have it installed and squared and braced in place.

Some people do pre build a wall but if you have a curb it will have to be lifted ans set over the bolts and hopefully everything is straight and level.

Although the way we do it is no fun for a newbee either. we bolt down the bottom plate and stick frame it in place, all fun until some one has to claim a ladder and set the top plate in place

Don't forget the sill gasket under the bottom sill.

After sheeting the floor if you are sheeting the floor then build the end walls.
The gables will be just 1 1/2 inches thick so lay a bottom plate and cut studs that will be higher than ceiling height and notch the top to fit against the gable truss
Then you can just frame your door opening and maybe a window at the other end.

If I have at least 4 people on hand to lift the wall I sheath it before lifting, before sheathing we check from corner to corner to make sure the wall is square.
We also drill the holes for the foundation bolts in the bottom plate and make sure they line up and will allow the plate to sit right at the edge of the slab so the sheathing can run past it to keep out wind and water before building the wall.
Whole lot easier to install the sheathing while the wall is laying flat then trying to lift it up and nail it.
There is no need to cut out the window or door openings until the back and two side walls and second top plate is up.

There will be no windows, just the doors. I have 2 others helping me. Fortunately, one of them has built a garage before. The walls will sit on 1 row of concrete blocks.

I have a level and a square. That should help me make sure the wall is square. I plan to first drill the holes for the sill plate. Check for fit, then put the studs on. I have sill gasket material, and am using pressure treated for the sill plate.

How far below the sill plate should the sheeting be? Yes, it is OSB.

For the LDL, what are king studs, cripple studs and jack studs?

When we do concrete foundation we use a 1x2 as a level line at the top of the forms. So we have a notch in the concrete when done and we let the sheeting go down about an inch.
It is important that the sheeting does not touch concrete.

Trying to keep the wall straight and level and then applying sheeting with an over hang, I wouldn't.:confused:

Names on studs changes from place to place.

Under each end who ever suggested the beam size should have told you how many, most likely 2 under each end. Out here those are cripples, most places they are jacks.
King studs are full height studs that are nailed to the jacks and the end of the beam.

When you frame the door add 2 inches to the with and 1" to the height. So if you dress the hole later with 2x10 fascia it ends up fitting a door nicely.

Do jack studs it on the concrete pad, or the sill plate that is on the blocks?

The opening in the blocks should be 2" bigger than the door. If yes then the jacks sit on the blocks

Thank you.

I wish you were my neighbour. Then all my questions could be easily answered.

Back